FOLKS I ADMIRE
Here’s a list (that I expect to continually expand) of people whose work has inspired me in my various fields of interest, and are definitely worth taking the time to check out.
- Alan Moore – Mr. Moore is probably my single biggest influence, and though I’ve never met the man, I’m oddly entangled with people around him (especially the magick folks) but that’s a whole other story. I loved his comic writing before I ever took his magickal life seriously, but both have had a huge impact on me over the years. If you’re not familiar with him, he’s responsible for some of the greats of comics literature. Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, Promethea, Lost Girls, to name just a few, but the work of his that really switched on something in my brain was the video Mindscape of Alan Moore. My wife and I are also the ones who conducted this interview with him for Diamond Previews, and it’s got some wonderful bits of insight for occult enthusiasts out there.
- George R.R. Martin – Famous for writing the series of novels adapted for the HBO series Game of Thrones, I’ve been a fan of his since the third novel was in paperback, and highly recommend the books (though I do enjoy the show). I’d once been in discussions with him and the Dabel Brothers (back when they were doing the Hedge Knight comics) at the New York ComicCon, but later that year Marvel snatched up the license, so that’s about as far as that went…
- Alejandro Jodorowsky – I can’t speak highly enough about this man, everything he does fills me with joy. Filmmaker, comic creator, and magician… I love everything he does, though it’s clearly not for everyone. Read up about him yourself if you’re unfamiliar, but perhaps the best introduction is the film Jodorowsky’s Dune, where you will see the story of the greatest movie never made, yet perhaps is still the most influential… In a way, he still got to tell the stories he meant to with Dune in his graphic novels The Incal and Metabarons, which he did with the late, legendary Moebius (who I had the good fortune to meet once) but I really love his magickal art-house films Holy Mountain and El Topo in a weird, special kinda way.
- Steve Huff – Steve Huff of Huff Paranormal is a medium and paranormal investigator who is really pushing the boundaries of the field of spirit communication, particularly where technology is concerned. He’s had a hand in the development of a number of apps that allow for direct spirit communication (available at ghost hunter apps) and his work has inspired our work on the Temple of the Western Gate. His YouTube videos have some very compelling footage, and worth taking the time to view.
- Jef Harvey – It’s really hard to explain why Jef Harvey is so awesome if you don’t already know your hat size in tinfoil, but he’s vastly advanced the fields of radionics and “talismanic” holograms, which will be a super big deal to folks a century from now. Worth looking into, he is/was basically one of those “Men Who Stare at Goats” folks, and oddly he now lives in the town where I grew up.
- Frater Xavier – a hermetic magician with a wonderfully instructive YouTube channel called Mind & Magick which is absolutely fantastic for the aspiring magician and adept alike. Definitely touched by the Gnosis, his videos are eminently re-watchable, and are totally worth the time to binge from the very beginning.
- David Wilcox & Corey Goode – at the forefront of the Disclosure movement (which is way out on the ultimate edge of the “tin-foiliest” of conspiracy theory) these guys are personal heroes of mine. Only if you have an extremely open mind do I think you can seriously handle what they have to say, but Ascension is nigh and I’d like us all to vibrate into the optimal future together, so if your Higher Self is “flicking the ear” of your intuition right now, I suggest giving it a shot. You can whet your beak with this hour long video to get you started, but I highly suggest subscribing to the Gaia network (and not just for these guys) so you can get access to all their material. I’ll only say this… there are now no longer “Conspiracy Theorists”, there are only “Conspiracy Deniers”.